Facial fillers are an effective treatment, but the results are temporary, and the added volume is eventually absorbed by the body. The speed at which the results “wear off,” however, depends greatly on the area of the face where they are injected. Fillers tend to have a shorter lifespan in regions that are more mobile. Since the muscles around your mouth are constantly contracting while you’re talking, breathing, chewing, laughing, smiling, and so on, the lips are one of the areas where fillers unfortunately tend to metabolize the fastest. Though you will need to have a new round of injections after several months have passed if you want to preserve the look fillers give you, there are techniques that patients can use to make the effects of lip injections last for longer than they would otherwise. Here are some tips on how to care for your face after lip fillers from our Portland-area practice:
- During the first few hours after lip injections, keep icing the area to reduce the swelling and bruising.
- Don’t engage in intense exercise for the first day or two, as it could cause the swelling and bruising to worsen.
- Stay out of high temperature environments like saunas and steam rooms for at least 48 hours.
- You can admire your reflection in the mirror all you want after lip fillers, but avoid touching them too much for the first few weeks. Placing too much firm pressure or massaging the skin could “jostle” the fillers and cause them to dissolve faster. This also means you’ll need to avoid any facials or other deep-cleansing cosmetic procedures, as well as try to avoid pressing your face against your pillow when sleeping.
- Don’t smoke, and avoid exposure to smoke after you’ve had lip injections, as it could increase your risk of infection.
- Continue to avoid alcohol (which acts as a blood thinner) along with other blood thinners and anti-inflammatory medications for a while to stop the bruising—as long as it is medically OK for you to do so.
Want to learn more about maintaining plump, shapely lips with fillers? For more tips on how to care for your lips after having lip injections, contact us at The Waldorf Center for Plastic Surgery. Call 503-882-0124, or complete a contact form to request a consultation, and we will help you start planning your injection plan.